Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Reviving the Blog

Wow, it's been awhile since I updated this blog!  Unfortunately, once I moved to Beijing I didn't have access to a VPN so the "great firewall of China" kept me from accessing blogspot.  The last 6 months of my time in China were wonderful.  Although I was a bit nervous at first about living in a city the size of Beijing, I am so glad that I had the opportunity.  I'm not sure how to sum it all up so here is 6 months in pictures:

Ryan loves BBQ pork from Guangzhou!
The Temple of Heaven in Beijing

Street food in Guangzhou

The train to Xi'an - high speed trains in China travel at 300km/hour

My parents (Lewis and Becky) and Aunt and Uncle (Ken and Vicki) at Tiananmen Square.  We had a wonderful week together before I left China. 

The Terracotta Warriors in Xi'an - very impressive in person!

My dad trying a flight of Slowboat beers.  I worked as a part time cook for a few months at this brewery taproom.

My mom at a pulled noodle class at The Hutong.  What a pro!
My next adventure starts this evening as I fly to Nicaragua.  Ryan and I have an opportunity to volunteer with an organization called Planting Hope in San Ramon (near Matagalpa).  What we will be doing depends on the needs of the NGO, but I am hoping to study Spanish, play with kids, and learn a lot about Nicaraguan culture.  We will volunteer from Jan. 29th - April 2nd and then return to the U.S.  At that point we will have a few weeks to regroup before heading to Alaska for seasonal work at a family-owned resort called Winterlake Lodge.  It's in a remote location that can only be reached by float plane or helicopter!  

I look forward to sharing thoughts and pictures as I experience Nicaragua during the next two months!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, you are everywhere! I am glad you are picking up the blog again, can't wait to hear about your next destination.

    ReplyDelete