Monday, May 13, 2013

The Orange Team

As anticipated, Charlie was stolen recently.  I was able to see a surveillance video that showed a man picking my bike lock in the middle of the afternoon.  Unfortunately, the police weren't able to identify him.  Although I can't really replace Charlie, I have bought another bike: Faye.  Faye is decidedly more sleek and lightweight.  
I needed a road bike anyway because I've started riding with "The Orange Team."  My former co-worker, Kimi, introduced me to his riding group in early April.  My schedule allows me to do morning training rides with them on Wednesdays and Thursdays.  On my first ride with them, I realized that I was in over my head as soon as the three other riders showed up on their skinny bikes wearing racing jerseys and clip-on shoes.  I  was able to keep up for the first 45 minutes of the ride, but only by drafting aggressively behind one of the other riders who was kind enough to let me keep pace with him.  As soon as we hit hills though, I was done. The ride was 66km and a challenge for me for sure!  On the next ride, it was even more difficult because it was rainy and the roads were soggy.  Keeping up by drafting meant a steady spray of mud and water in my face.  By the end of the ride the rain had stopped and the road grit was hardening on my face like a spa mask  -- except that instead of infusing my skin with vitamins and antioxidants, this mask contained whatever viruses and bacteria were on the roads. 
My face after the rainy ride.
I was pretty sure I would have bird flu or at least a severe eye infection the next day.  I survived though, and for the next ride I was happy to be on a faster bike.  I am still at a hopeless disadvantage, but at least I have a fighting chance!  
I am enjoying getting to know the other riders.  A couple of weeks ago one of the riders hosted a get together at his house.  It was a lovely afternoon with delicious home cooked food and conversations in a delightful mix of Chinese and English.
Charlie and I on our last ride at Dongqian lake

Biking party food


No comments:

Post a Comment