Thursday, January 6, 2011

Staying Warm

In Bulgaria, staying warm is a skill.

6:30am, I wake up and reach for my phone to check the time. It's 45 degrees in my room and I'm not feeling motivated to leave the warmth of my bed. Sometimes life in my house feels like camping. When I get up I have the cold trip to the bathroom. Then I hurry to get wood and start a fire in my room. Sometimes I get back in bed while I wait for the room to heat up a little before getting dressed. Or, I just skip starting a fire altogether and leave the house as quickly as possible. Fortunately for me, when I come home in the evening I immediately go downstairs where Zeynep has been cooking all day and the room is about 80 degrees. Bliss.


I had a great time with my parents and brother when they visited for Christmas. Their time was filled with visiting people (both Bulgarians and other volunteers). Hospitality overload! My family got to experience being told to "Yash" (Eat!) continually and learned that if they finished any part of their meal, they would immediately be served more. They were great travelers--very flexible and adaptable! Plus they brought all kinds of wonderful things from the states (e.g., zip lock bags, peanut butter, and instant oatmeal!). Thank you to everyone who sent gifts with them--I feel incredibly blessed. Below are some pictures from our time together. There are also some pictures of making gingerbread houses with the 5th and 6th graders :)


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update, Whit! It's so good to see pictures of you and your family. And gosh, your hair is so dark and luxurious! Love you and miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are sure enjoying central heat! Something we took for granted prior to our trip to Bulgaria! Thanks for all the hospitality and warmth of the wonderful people we met!

    ReplyDelete